We have over 1700 toys in the toy library to fascinate your child for years to come at a very low cost. Our toys are multi-functional, durable, stimulating and require children to use and develop their own skills. And of course, they are fun!
Our toys are aimed at preschool children aged 0-7 and include:Toy collection
- Safe BABY TOYS
- ROLE PLAY TOYS – toy houses, puppets, animal sets, occupational and domestic play. Including a large range of fabulous dress-ups.
- ACTIVE PLAY TOYS ranging from activity rockers for L-platers to balance bikes for our junior racers.
- DISCOVERY TOYS – chances to explore construction, threading, magnets and water play.
- GAMES including family favourites as well as excellent games designed for preschoolers.
- NOISY toys like musical instruments.
- TRANSPORT TOYS – train sets, cars, trucks, garages, car mats, space rockets and airports.
- a huge range of JIGSAW PUZZLES in both wood and card ranging from toddler puzzles of 3 pieces to more complex pictures with over 60 pieces.
- LARGE TOYS including ride-on vehicles, slides, roller coasters (like you see at play centres), slides, see-saws, mini kitchens, workbenches, tents and junior sport toys.
- SCHOOL READINESS games and activities
- STEM science, technology, engineering and maths
Toys are catalogued by type (games, puzzles, construction, musical, etc.), attributes (skills learnt) and age . Toy profiles are displayed around the library, giving you an idea of how the toy works, suitable age group, learning outcomes, and similar toys. New toys are displayed at the front of the toy library
Our experienced coordinator is available during opening hours to help you select toys for your children. The coordinator knows all our toys and has a background in early childhood education. She can recommend developmentally appropriate toys and give you ideas for creative play and activities.
Older children will enjoy selecting toys for themselves.
We want children to have fun and enjoy the toy library toys. Members are responsible for the toys they borrow. This includes (but is not limited to):
- correct use of toys
- returning the toy clean
- choosing age-appropriate toys
- taking care with small parts and magnets
- not leaving toys outside in the elements.
Consider the safety of younger siblings when choosing toys. Warning labels are placed on toys containing small pieces. Some of our toys are stored in plastic bags and we recommend that you put bags out of children’s reach while the toys are in use in your home.
Have other questions, get answers to your questions HERE
We understand that sometimes accidents do happen. If a toy is damaged by a member, small fines may apply. Report damaged toys to the coordinator promptly. If the toy is assessed as unusable (either through damage or essential pieces missing), the committee will decide on an appropriate payment to fix or replace the toy.
Toys need to be returned clean. As a general rule of thumb, return the toys in the condition that you would like to borrow them. Clean toys help to prevent the spread of germs. Here’s a quick guide to cleaning the toys:
- If soiled, wash the toy well with hot, soapy water. A grease-removing formula usually does the trick for stubborn dirt. Rinse.
- Use a (clean) toothbrush/scrubbing brush to clean small areas or hard to reach places.
- Avoid soaking toys in water as this can make the stickers and decorations peel off and may cause corrosion inside the toy.
- Dry the toy with a clean tea towel. While still damp, use a satay stick with cotton wool to make very fine buds to clean all edges so that the toy is perfectly clean.
- Wash wooden toys well with a damp cloth and pat dry. For Brio train sets, scrub well with a toothbrush and hot soapy water.
- If your child has been ill, please disinfect the toys, but do not soak them in disinfectant as this can remove the colour from some plastics.
- Thoroughly wipe toys with hot water and mild detergent.
- A hairdryer is handy to dry hard to reach places, but ensure it is not too hot.
Battery toys: Do not submerge in water wring out sponge an wipe over.
If toys are returned visibly dirty the member will be asked to take the toy home and clean it.